This is one such recipe that my cousin and I whipped up on a lazy Sunday afternoon and it has quickly become a staple in our household. We wanted something light but hearty, something spicy and tangy, something crunchy and comforting. We wanted a breakfast sandwich that was low maintenance yet fancy. And most importantly we wanted something healthy that was still filling and satisfying. THIS is that recipe.
This sandwich literally has most of the flavor profiles. Cabbage brings the crunch, yoghurt brings the sourness, cheese brings the creaminess, dash of ketchup brings the sweetness, sriracha brings the spice, cilantro brings the freshness and bread brings this all together.
I have made this several times and my toddler loves it too! It’s perfect for the weekend mornings when you kick back and enjoy this sandwich with a cup of joe or tea! Because the cabbage will make it soggy over an extended period of time, it is best enjoyed when eaten immediately. Serve with some chips and this spicy green cilantro chutney.Print
Crunchy cabbage smothered in a medley of flavors and packed in between slices of bread. Perfect weekend sandwich for a lazy morning.
- 8–10 Bread slices
- 3 cups shredded Cabbage
- ½ cup finely chopped Onion
- ¼ cup Plain yoghurt(less watery parts)
- 2 tbsp Mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tbsp Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Sriracha (adjust to taste)
- 2 tbsp finely chopped Cilantro
- 1 tbsp finely chopped Jalapeno or Green chilly (optional)
- ¼ tsp Black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 3–4 American cheese slices
- Except the bread, combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Heat a griddle or saute pan on medium heat.
- Spread ⅓ cup of the filling on a slice of bread. Top with 3/4th of a cheese slice (breaking it by hand) and place another slice of bread on top. Smear butter on the outside.
- Add a small dollop of butter to the heated pan and place the non buttered side of the sandwich down. Cook for 3-4 mins on each side until it turns golden brown. If it is turning dark too quickly, lower the heat. Low heat is best to develop a crispy toast and to ensure that the filling is heated through.
- Repeat this process to make the rest of the sandwiches.
- Serve immediately with some spicy green cilantro chutney.
- You can replace some cabbage with shredded carrots for a nutritional boost.
- You can mix the cheese in the mixture, but I have found that the slices clump together.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 10
- Category: Breakfast
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian-inspired
Keywords: cabbage sandwich, quick sandwich recipe, easy sandwich recipe, indian sandwich, healthy breakfast